Beiträge von Fail

I would contact the insurance and explain that there was hidden damage at the damper. Maybe due to compression or torsion during the hit. They should cover it in my opinion.

I agree, but unfortunately insurance company didn't. I will try again with your (better) words, as my reasoning only was "It worked before the accident".

There's also the fact that it took 5 months to repair the damage, as the tailgates were very hard to find and then it was summer vacation. So I had to use it even when the hatch didn't close properly. This may have damaged the damper further.

Thanks for the help and caring all!

Yes, I took the damper out and checked the cables. None were visibly damaged/broken, just some discoloring (can it be broken only on the inside?). I actually followed the excellent guidance from Firebird1234, so this forums has already been extremely helpful (Thanks!).

So I was wondering if there was a way to measure the cables somehow, and what do the different cables actually do, so I could focus my limited skills to correct cable?

It's out of warranty, purchased in 2018. Paying 1400€ for this part seems excessive, and finding just the part seems difficult also. I guess I'll contact Opel and ask for a quote.

Hello,

Sorry for the english, but my german only helps when ordering beer.

I have had similar issues with my tailgate as reported here, but my cables look healthy on the surface, just some small discoloring. Before I start slicing all the cables open, I was wondering if you have any experience is measuring the cables with multimeter? Or testing the damper on a bench somehow?

My issues started when an idiot crashed my tail on red light stand-still. Tailgate was replaced and then it didn't open 1/5 times or so. Sent back to the garage to investigate, they reported faulty damper, cost 1400€ and not covered by the insurance. After they "checked" it. it only opened once every three times. Closing was also 50-50. The damper sounds tired and old. Damper was not replaced in the accident, as there were no visible damage.